Thursday

Writ Pending?

It's oh so close... Or is it? The insiders say that the it's a certainty, but one never knows. I'll wait and see if there is any writ droppage today or tomorrow. But word on the street is it happens before the weekend.

On a call-in show yesterday I was surprised to see how many callers said they didn't want to see this election now, and then proceeded to talk about how crappy the current government is and how they aren't doing anything, and should do something first.

I can't help but see that as a contradiction - if they're so crappy and unable to do anything, then perhaps this is your chance to impose some change on them.

The show had a very astute guest though, well, I say that because he was echoing things I've been saying around the dinner table and coffee shops for a while, but had yet to hear in the media. Unfortunately I didn't get his name, and the CBC website for 'OntarioToday' has no history info.

One - on the concept of a fixed election date. First it's an indictable offense to have proclaimed that a fixed date was required because otherwise parties would select election days opportunistically, then to have done exactly that.

Two - the whole concept of a fixed election date makes little sense in a parliamentary system. (my theory is that it's more of their subconscious white-house wannabe syndrome)

Three - the deck-clearing effect of this election could be dramatic, with new leaders possible in many camps. This is a key value for me, and why I'm anxious to see this one happen.


Anyway, rather than 99% sure, as most media and pundits seem to be, I think I'm hovering around 65%. Just given the opportunism, Harper et al may well be pulling our chains with all the meeting shenanigans and hint mongering. I certainly hope not.

No comments: