Sunday

Barack Layton?

My reading of the election timing is starting to show up in the media. I saw CTV commentary that mentioned (mostly jokingly) Obama and Layton comparisons. That was my prediction a week or two back. The thesis? A media feeding frenzy on the Obama/McLean project south of the border is bound to inspire Canadian voters - some of whom will say "I wish we had someone new talking about big questions, and inspiring us. A strong orator like Obama."

I don't think we have anyone like that in the slate - though some folks have told me that seeing Dion in person is much more inspiring and impressive that his on-TV persona.

When I spin through our existing leaders though (and this has been supported by a recent poll which came out after my comments earlier), I think Layton is the guy who would benefit most from those thoughts. On that poll, I heard surveys of opinions about leadership show people to rate Layton highly.

Smooth, though, Layton isn't. Noticing some media footage recently, he's got a strange posture that might turn some people off, looks like some combination of a guy in a girdle and a flamboyant thespian - too much arm swinging or something. Can't put my finger on it, but these things do a lot to influence people's opinions (unfortunately). Hmmm, I wonder if it's a good time for him to consider loosing the mustache? Nah, probably too much screwing with the brand at this point would hurt him.

Still watching...

No comments: